Top sunglasses for cycling from Oakley
I’VE used a host of different kinds of sun-shades for cycling over the years and until now I haven’t really found a pair that I could wear without realising I was wearing them, if you know what I mean.
That means they have to fit well, be really comfortable, and not bob about on my nose. I should also be able to put them off and take them off while cycling.
Few would disagree that Oakley sunglasses are probably the most popular shades amongst cyclists and the model that appears to be most attractive to bikies is the Oakley Radar Path.
These shades are lightweight, durable and very comfortable to wear without the long arms (no ear hooks) interfering with your helmet.
Oakley’s Three Point Fit wrap around ensures good fit and comfort and I really like the fact that the semi-rimless design means downward vision isn’t affected. The Plutonite lens material filters out 100% of UVA, UVB, UVC, and blue light rays and the Hydrophobic lens coating prevents any grease build up or smudging.
The real test for specs like this is mountain biking on rough trails and I was delighted not to lose my Oakleys on the bumps. They stayed fixed firmly to my face and didn’t bobble about in the slightest. Very impressive, and even after hours of wearing them, they remain perfectly comfortable.
But for me the stand-out design feature on these sunglasses are what Oakley call ‘surge ports.’ These are the small holes moulded into the arms of the sunglasses. The idea is that the holes direct air inside the arms so that heat and sweat don’t build up behind the sunglasses. In other words they create an air-flow that eliminates condensation.
Of course Oakley sun glasses are not cheap but what price do you put on good eye protection? The sunglass comes with a zipper case that has room for a spare lens and a microfiber bag that is both a lens cleaning cloth and soft storage. Oakley sunglasses are available nationally from Optical Express.
Oakley Radar Path sunglasses cost circa £150
Features of the Oakley Radar Path Sunglasses
* Durability and all-day comfort of lightweight, stress-resistant O Matter frame material
* Integrated surge ports to channel cooling airflow
* Optimized peripheral view and side coverage of Polaric Ellipspoid lens geometry
* Comes standard with Oakley Hydrophobic/Oleophobic anti-smudge lens coating
* Comfort and performance of Three-Point Fit that holds lenses in precise optical alignment
* Metal icon accents
* Optical precision and performance that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards
* Impact resistance that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards for high-mass and high-velocity impact
* UV protection of Plutonite lens that filters out 100% of UVA / UVB / UVC & harmful blue light up to 400nm
* Glare reduction
* Multiple interchangeable Unobtainium nose pad options for customisable and comfortable secure fit